Monday, April 13, 2009

Jackie Earle Haley is the New Freddy Krueger

According to this article, Jackie Earle Haley (who was featured as superhero Rorschach in Watchman and was nominated for an Oscar a few years ago for his portrayal of a sex offender in Little Children) will play Freddy Krueger in the upcoming remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street.

I have not generally gotten upset with remakes; as long as the original is preserved, my attitude has been to let filmmakers and studios do what they like. However, I felt a little angst when a remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street was announced because that film really is a well made piece of work and it is one of my personal favorites. So to hear that Haley, an accomplished actor (not a stunt man or a no-name performer), is cast in the role gives me hope that there will be a concerted effort to make a good film and not just cash in on a title.

No comments: