Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sounds of Cinema's 10th Anniversary

This weekend marks the tenth anniversary of the first broadcast of this show. Sounds of Cinema (which was originally called "Maverick at the Movies" from 2004 - 2008 when it ran exclusively on 89.7 KMSU FM "The Maverick") has lasted far longer than I had expected and I hope to continue to bring this program to you each week. Being on the air is a privilege, one I take very seriously, and I'm grateful to have been able to do this for so long.

Sounds of Cinema has been possible because of the support of the staff of 89.7 KMSU FM in Mankato and 89.5 KQAL FM in Winona and I thank them for their continued encouragement, indulgence, and assistance. I'd also like to recognize Joe Tougas and Ann Fee of The Frye, the official band of Sounds of Cinema, for their support. And of course I must thank the listeners. There are so many options available to you on air and online (not to mention all the other things you could be doing besides listening to the radio) and I appreciate that fact that you've taken time out of your week to tune into the show.

Part of the reason I do this program each week is that I believe in the mission of Sounds of Cinema, which is to to provide an outlet for serious discussion about film. So much of what passes for entertainment news is just mindless noise and commercials for media conglomerates masquerading as art appreciation. I hope I've been able to offer some constructive criticism and inject useful information into the world and into your movie-going experience.

Thank you very much.



No comments: